May 1, 1990
May 1, 1990
Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.
George Orwell's celebrated and always timely 1948 vision of a world subsumed in tyranny and war describes the process of events by which Winston Smith, a London clerk at the Ministry of Truth, comes to understand the true nature and aims of the government he works for, and portrays his doomed attempt to create a private life for himself and his lover, Julia. One of the bleakest political novels ever written, 1984 illustrates Orwell's despair that democracy could ever summon the strength to overcome totalitarianism in his lifetime.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
Sub-Genre: Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Types of Characters, Classics, Politics, Conflicts + Dualities, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Philosophy
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Types of Characters, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Philosophy, Politics, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Classics, Conflicts + Dualities
- Edition: Reissue
- Language: English
- Author: George Orwell
- Online Item #: 11455109
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-02-0281
- ISBN: 9780451524935
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported