November 1, 2001
November 1, 2001
An immediate bestseller when it was first published in December 1843, A Christmas Carol has endured ever since as a perennial Yuletide favorite. Charles Dickens's beloved tale about the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge, who comes to know the meaning of kindness, charity, and goodwill through a haunting Christmas Eve encounter with four ghosts, is a heartwarming celebration of the spirit of Christmas.
This Modern Library Paperback Classics edition also includes two other popular Christmas stories by Dickens: The Chimes,in which a man, persuaded by hypocritical cant that the poor deserve their misery, is shown what his pessimistic resignation might lead to in a vision conjured by the pealing of bells, and The Haunted Man, Dickens's last Christmas tale, which features one of his great comic families, the Tetterbys.
A CHRISTMAS CAROL is Dickens's tender and comic tale of the Cratchit family, Tiny Tim, and Ebenezer Scrooge--a favorite ever since it was written, in 1843. Badly in need of money, Dickens produced A CHRISTMAS CAROL in six weeks; the first printing of 6,000 copies sold out instantly. In Dickens's original version, Tiny Tim was Tiny Fred, and Scrooge said "Bah!" but not "Humbug!"
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Stages of Life, Religion + Beliefs, Types of Characters, Settings, Society + Social Issues, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Money + Finance, Holidays, Classics, Human Qualities + Behavior, Conflicts + Dualities
- Language: English
- Author: Charles Dickens
- Online Item #: 11771545
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-21-1653
- ISBN: 9780375758881
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported