Elaine May wrote and directed (credits May attempted to have removed after the studio made extensive cuts in the film) this dark and funny comedy about marriage, murder, and money. May also stars as Henrietta, a shy and clumsy wallflower, who is also heir to a large pile of money. Indigent playboy Graham ( Walter Matthau ), who has squandered his inherited trust fund and needs to get a new source of money, begins to ply his affections upon Henrietta. When his butler ( George Rose ) recommends that Graham should marry Henrietta and gain control of her funds, Graham borrows money from his miserable uncle ( James Coco ) and wines and dines Henrietta. Graham's dastardly plan is to marry Henrietta, take her off on a trip to the mountains, and murder her. Graham can then return from her funeral and inherit his wealth. But thrown into his path toward the perfect murder are a collection of Henrietta's loyal -- and not so loyal -- retainers and the small dim light of Graham's own conscience. ~ Paul Brenner, Rovi
- Black Comedy, Crime Comedy
- Age Disparity Romance, Treacherous Spouses, Unlikely Criminals, Marriages of Convenience
- 01 hr 42 min
- September 4, 2012
- Walter Matthau , Elaine May , Jack Weston , George Rose , William Redfield
- Graham Jarvis , Mildred Clinton , Fred Stewart , Renée Taylor , Doris Roberts , David F. Doyle , Mark Gordon , Jess Osuna , Rose Arrick , James Coco
- Elaine May
- Golden Globe Awards (1)
- Golden Globe Awards , Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Pictur , 1971 , Elaine May
Rating: G - Questionable for Children, Adult Situations
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported