June 10, 2004
June 30, 2004
Dickens's only serious, uncomic novel, A TALE OF TWO CITIES, is set during the French Revolution and tells a story of unselfish devotion. The beautiful Lucy Manette marries Charles Darnay, the descendant of an aristocratic French family denounced by the revolutionaries, among whom are the memorably evil fanatic Mme. Defarge. When Darnay is arrested and condemned to death, his place is taken at the guillotine by Sidney Carton, who loves Lucy himself and is willing to die to secure her happiness (and who happens to resemble Darnay). His last words--"'Tis a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done..."--have become nearly as famous as the novel itself, one of Dickens's most popular works despite its sober subject matter. It is also, with BARNABY RUDGE, one of his only two historical novels.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction
Sub-Genre: Social Issues / Friendship, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Family / Parents, War + Military, General, Historical / Europe, Historical Fiction, Classics, Comics + Graphic Novels / General
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Comics + Graphic Novels / General, Social Issues / Friendship, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Historical / Europe, General, Family / Parents, War + Military, Historical Fiction, Classics
- Edition: Unabridged
- Author: Charles Dickens
- Online Item #: 13579875
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-68-8438
- ISBN: 9781593351830
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported