May 1, 1998
May 1, 1998
At the Turn of the Century, a time when women had few choices, Bess Steed Garner inherits a legacy - not only of wealth, but of determination and desire, making her truly a woman of independent means. From the early 1900s through the 1960s, we accompany Bess as she endures life's trials and triumphs with unfailing courage and indomitable spirit: the sacrifices love sometimes requires of the heart; the flaws and rewards of marriage; the often-tested bond between mother and child; and the will to defy a society that demands conformity.
This perennially popular novel, a bestseller in 1978, is the stirring saga of Bess Steed Garner, a woman determined to make it in the exciting new world of the 20th century. From the early 1900s through the tumultuous 1960s, Bess's faith in herself, her courage, and her staunch individuality never fail. Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey wrote this novel as a tribute to her grandmother.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Society + Social Issues, Human Qualities + Behavior, Settings, General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey
- Online Item #: 11404497
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-2269
- ISBN: 9780140274363
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported