June 10, 2008
June 10, 2008
When eleven-year-old Anne Shirley arrives at Green Gables with nothing but a carpetbag and an overactive imagination, she knows that she has found her home. But first she must convince the Cuthberts to let her stay, even though she isn't the boy they'd hoped for. The loquacious Anne quickly finds her way into their hearts, as she has with generations of readers, and her charming, ingenious adventures in Avonlea, filled with colorful characters and tender escapades, linger forever in our memories.
This Modern Library Edition of the first of L. M. Montgomery's beloved and immensely popular Avonlea novels features the restored original text and an Introduction by the noted children's literature scholar Jack Zipes.
This is the classic and immensely popular first novel in the series about Anne Shirley, an irrepressible red-headed orphan. The Cuthberts decide to adopt an orphan--a strong, hardworking boy to help with the farm chores. Anne is sent to live with them by mistake. Talkative, romantic and imaginative, Anne must convince the Cuthberts to keep her. Once adopted, Anne embraces her new life with energy, and no one who meets her is ever the same.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Social Issues / Friendship, Religion + Beliefs, People + Places / Canada / General, Nature + the Natural World / General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Lifestyles / Country Life, Historical / Canada / General, General, Family / Orphans + Foster Homes, Classics, People + Places / General
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Lucy Maud Montgomery , L.M. Montgomery , Lucy M. Montgomery
- Online Item #: 11693121
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-15-9631
- ISBN: 9780812979039
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported