February 5, 2013
February 6, 2013
On November 4, 1979, Iranian militants stormed the American embassy in Tehran and captured dozens of American hostages, sparking a 444-day ordeal and a quake in global politics still reverberating today. But there is a little-known drama connected to the crisis: six Americans escaped. And a top-level CIA officer named Antonio Mendez devised an ingenious yet incredibly risky plan to rescue them before they were detected.
Disguising himself as a Hollywood producer, and supported by a cast of expert forgers, deep cover CIA operatives, foreign agents, and Hollywood special effects artists, Mendez traveled to Tehran under the guise of scouting locations for a fake science fiction film called Argo. While pretending to find the perfect film backdrops, Mendez and a colleague succeeded in contacting the escapees, and smuggling them out of Iran.
Genre: History, Political Science, True Crime
Sub-Genre: Political Freedom / International Security, Modern / 20th Century, General, United States / 20th Century, Middle East / General, Political Process / Leadership
- Genre: Political Science, True Crime, History
- Subgenre: Middle East / General, Political Freedom / International Security, General, Modern / 20th Century, United States / 20th Century, Political Process / Leadership
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Antonio J. Mendez , Matt Baglio
- Online Item #: 14508054
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-04-4208
- ISBN: 9780147509734
- Made in the USA or Imported