January 31, 2006
January 31, 2006
A tour of key historic sites in America where incidents of political violence have occurred reveals lesser-known points of interest pertaining to each and shares information about how history has been shaped by popular culture and tourism.
Quirky essayist Sarah Vowell, known both for her pieces on NPR's "This American Life" and her star turn voicing teen superhero Violet in the animated Pixar blockbuster THE INCREDIBLES, waxes both witty and rhapsodic in this monumentally obsessive travelogue chronicling her so-called pilgrimage to various places related to the first three assassinations of American presidents (Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley). From the museum housing Lincoln's skull fragments to James Garfield's favorite office armchair to the apartment building of ****** Emma Goldman (falsely implicated in McKinley's assassination), no site, major or minor, is left unvisited. Along the way, Vowell shares various tidbits of history related to the three presidencies and their abrupt endings, including the career of Lincoln's eldest son, Robert Todd Lincoln, whom she refers to variously as the "jinxed Zelig of doom," and "Jinxy McDeath," due to his misfortune of being in close proximity to all three of those assassinations.
- Genre: History, Religion + Beliefs, Biography + Autobiography, Humor, Travel, Political Science
- Subgenre: United States / State + Local / General, Islam / Shi'ism, Presidents + Heads of State, Topic / Political, United States / General, Museums + Tours + Points of Interest, General
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Sarah Vowell
- Online Item #: 11338279
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-00-6296
- ISBN: 9780743260046
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported