Filmmaker Hugo Haas unfolds his usual cautionary "old man-young woman" story in One Girl's Confession. Perennial Haas leading lady Cleo Moore stars as Mary Adams, whose first step on the road to ruin is a 25,000 robbery. Mary hides the money, then confesses to the crime, secure in the belief that she can dig up the loot upon her release from prison. A few years later, Mary is placed on probation, whereupon she takes a waitressing job at the seaside eatery run by Dragomie Damitrof (Haas). A chronic gambler, Damitrof is on the verge of losing his café when Mary offers to loan him money. When Damitrof begins spending cash like a sailor, Mary is convinced that he's located her hidden loot, whereupon she hits him on the noggin and leaves him for dead. Deciding that the money is too much trouble, Mary donates the rest of the loot to an orphanage and confesses to Damitrof's murder. But that's not the end of the story .... Hal Erickson, Rovi
Inspired by the radio program of the same name, Night Editor features Charles D. Brown as the editor of the New York Star. In flashback, the editor tells the tale of police lieutenant William Gargan, who forsakes his happy home life for the love of no-good society dame Janis Carter. Both Gargan and Carter begin cheating on their respective spouses, and while on a romantic rendezvous the couple witnesses a murder. They can't report the crime without revealing their own infidelities, a dilemma which leads to blackmail, double-crossing and a second murder attempt. A twist ending caps this snappy little 65-minute morality play. The script of Night Editor was based on the story "Inside Story" by Scott Littleton, previously dramatized on the Night Editor radio series. Hal Erickson, Rovi
This forgettable piece of 1950s sleaze stars Cleo Moore as a ****** blonde who becomes a successful commercial photographer. Richard Crenna, making a major break from his TV image as Our Miss Brooks' Walter Denton, plays a reporter who takes a special interest in Moore's career. The beauteous picture taker becomes involved in a blackmail plot when she goes to work for a Confidential-type magazine, nearly losing her life to mobsters. It was the opinion of many contemporary reviewers that the title Over-Exposed referred not to the photographs taken by Moore but to the generous amounts of cleavage displayed by the actress' low cut gowns. Though Cleo Moore has become a "cult" favorite thanks to her appearances in the turgid melodramas directed by Hugo Haas, Over-Exposed demonstrates that her minimal acting talent vanished altogether without Haas' guiding hand. Hal Erickson, Rovi
With the exception of the vastly superior Caged, Columbia's Women's Prison was the quintessential "babes behind bars" drama of the 1950s. Ida Lupino (who else?) stars as Amelia VanZant, the sadistic supervisor of the titular prison. Unable to establish any sort of relationship with a man, Amelia takes it out on her long-suffering inmates. When prison psychiatrist Clark (Howard Duff) tries to improve conditions for the women, he too is targetted for destruction by the vituperous Ms. VanZant. The cast includes such perennial "hard-boiled dames" as Jan Sterling, Cleo Moore, Audrey Totter, Phyllis Thaxter, Gertrude Michael and Mae Clarke. Not taken very seriously in the first place, Women's Prison was elevated to the level of "high camp" by youthful film buffs of the 1960s and 1970s. Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Prison Film, Melodrama, Police Detective Film, Crime Drama
- Witnessing a Crime, Infidelity, Ladder to the Top
- 05 hr
- February 9, 2010
- Cleo Moore , William Gargan , Ida Lupino , Hugo Haas , Jan Sterling
- Helen Eby-Rock , Emmett Vogan , Cy Malis , Charles Wagenheim , Betty Hill , Wally Rose , Johnny Calkins , Harry Tyler , Frank Dae , Eddie Parker , Eddie Foy III , Douglas Wood , Donald Kerr , Lorna Thayer , Leo Mostovoy , John Tyrrell , Murray Alper , Jimmy Lloyd , Joe Palma , Jack Frack , Vernon Dent , Ronnie Ralph , Murray Leonard , Eddy Chandler , Janis Carter , Richard Crenna , Glenn Langan , Jeff Donnell , Isobel Elsom , Cleo Moore , Audrey Totter , Raymond Greenleaf , Ellen Stansbury , Coulter Irwin , Charles D. Brown , Phyllis Thaxter , Shirley Thomas , Anthony Jochim , James O'Reare , Burt Mustin , Paul E. Burns , Howard Duff , Harry Shannon , Don Randolph , Warren Stevens , Leonid Snegoff , James Nusser , Barry Kelley , Frank Wilcox , Dayton Lummis , Gertrude Michael , Russ Conway , Jeanne Cooper , Robert Stevens , Roy Gordon , Vivian Marshall , Jack Albertson , Mae Clarke , William McLean , Michael Chapin , Gayne Whitman , Edna Holland , Ross Elliott , Robert Emmett Keane , Anthony Caruso , Adele August , Martha Wentworth , John Cason , Edward Keane , Don C. Harvey , Juanita Moore , Dick Crockett , Jack Davis , Geraldine Hall , Lou Lubin , Charles Marsh , Lynne Millan , Voltaire Perkins , Mira McKinney , Joan Miller , Mary Newton , Diane DeLaire , Frank Mitchell , Frances Morris , Robert B. Williams
- Lewis Seiler , Henry Levin , Hugo Haas
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported