August 3, 2009
August 3, 2009
A revised edition of the classic that changed the way children are met when they enter our world
• The original book that challenged society’s beliefs about awareness in the newborn
• Shows how gentle lighting, a quiet atmosphere, and a warm bath allow a newborn to ease the transition from womb to world without trauma or fear
• Includes a new preface by the author, the founder of the gentle birth movement
Birth without Violence is the first book to express what mothers have always known: babies are born complete human beings with the ability to experience a full range of emotions. First published in 1974, it revolutionized the way we perceive the process of birth, urging us to consider the birth from the infant’s point of view. Why must a child emerge from the quiet darkness of the womb into a blaze of blinding light and loud voices? Why must an infant take its first breath in terror, hanging upside down as its vulnerable spine is jerked straight? Why must the infant be separated from its mother after spending nine months inside her nourishing body?
Examining alternatives to technocentric approaches to childbirth, this new edition of the classic text, complete with a new author preface, shows us how we can ease the transition from womb to world without trauma or fear. Birth without Violence illustrates how to create an environment of tranquillity in which to welcome our children: a relaxed mother, gentle lighting, soothing atmosphere, and a warm bath that mirrors the child’s prenatal surroundings. Dr. Leboyer’s simple techniques demonstrate how a birth without violence has far-reaching implications for improving the quality of human life physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Genre: Health + Wellness, Family + Relationships, Medical
Sub-Genre: Gynecology + Obstetrics, Nursing / Maternity + Perinatal + Women's Health, Women's Health, Pregnancy + Childbirth
- Genre: Medical, Family + Relationships, Health + Wellness
- Subgenre: Pregnancy + Childbirth, Women's Health, Nursing / Maternity + Perinatal + Women's Health, Gynecology + Obstetrics
- Edition: New
- Language: English
- Author: Fr-Ed-Erick Leboyer
- Online Item #: 11658634
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-13-9449
- ISBN: 9781594772979
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported