March 2, 2010
March 2, 2010
Forced to leave behind her family in Ireland to accept a job in 1950s America, bookkeeper Eilis Lacey unexpectedly falls in love with an Italian man with a big family, who she fears losing when tragic news arrives from home. By the author of
Eilis Lacey, an Irish lass who leaves behind her beloved mother and sister to come to postwar America, is the shimmering center of Colm Toibin's sixth novel. Eilis finds work as the bookkeeper at a local department store and slowly begins to insinuate herself into her colorfully repressed Catholic neighborhood in Brooklyn. The unlikely foundation of her new life is Tony, a spirited Italian boy with a sprawling family. Tony patiently courts the shy, lonely Eilis, and his boisterous relatives momentarily allow her to forget about her own kin. But Eilis's suddenly idyllic existence is soon shattered by a tragedy that will force her to choose between her evaporating past and her propitious future.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: General, Literary, Love + Relationships + Sex, Types of Characters, Society + Social Issues, Stages of Life
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Colm Toibin
- Online Item #: 12203355
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-04-0197
- ISBN: 9781439148952
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported