March 1, 1992
March 1, 1992
A man must endure relentless physical and metal punishments as retribution for his act of murder
This 1866 novel is Dostoevsky's great fictional study of the criminal mind, in the character of the student Raskolnikov, who murders an aged pawnbroker. Initially, Raskolnikov believes that the killing was entirely justified, but as the novel proceeds he becomes tortured by his guilt, and begins to question all his most passionately held beliefs. Eventually, while the wily police inspector Porfiry Petrovich simply waits, Raskolnikov--prompted by Sonia, a prostitute who is devoted to him--breaks down and confesses. Despite its bleak subject matter, the novel holds out the possibility of redemption; it is also an indictment of the social conditions in which the action unfolds.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Human Qualities + Behavior, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities, Mystery + Crime, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Types of Characters, Work + the Workplace, Psychology, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Edition: Reissue
- Language: English
- Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky , Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Online Item #: 12082239
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-35-1565
- ISBN: 9780553211757
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported