Though its purely propagandastic aspects are never far from surface, Destination Tokyo must rank as one of the most intelligent and objective of wartime thrillers. Cary Grant is a tower of strength as Captain Cassidy, skipper of an American submarine bound for Tokyo harbor. Its mission: to allow a Navy meterologist to survey Japanese weather conditions, in preparation for a major Allied assault. Many of the individual incidents in Delmar Daves' script are based on fact, notably an episode in which a pharmacist's mate is called upon to perform an emergency appendectomy. Admittedly, some of the secondary characters are WWII stereotypes, but they're never played that way. Particularly good isDane Clark, in his first important screen role; also registering well as a radio man is John Forsythe, in his first screen role ever. From the sub's embarkation in San Francisco to its climactic retreat from Japan, there's not a single solitary dull moment in the 135 minutes of Destination Tokyo. Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
- Military & War
- War Drama, Combat Films
- Heroic Mission, War At Sea
- 02 hr 15 min
- French , Spanish , English
- June 1, 2004
- Alan Hale , John Ridgely , Dane Clark , John Garfield , Cary Grant
- Maurice Murphy , George Lloyd , John Whitney , Whit Bissell , William Challee , Bill Kennedy , John Alvin , John Forsythe , Warren Douglas , Faye Emerson , Tom Tully , Peter Whitney , Robert Hutton , William Prince , Warner Anderson , Danny Borzage , Angel Cruz , Russ Whiteman , Bruce Wong , Alan Wilson , Mary Landa , Kirby Grant , Robert Lowell , Paul Langton , Michael Daves , Hugh Prosser , John Hudson , Wing Foo , William Hudson , James B. Leong , Lou Marcelle , Herbert Gunn , Duke York , Mark Stevens , Joy Barlowe , Jay Ward , Harry Bartell , George Robotham , Charles Anthony Hughes , Charles P. Thompson , Cliff Clark , Lane Chandler , Dorothy Schoemer , Warren Ashe , William Hunter , George Anderson , Pierre Watkin , Jack Mower , Carlyle Blackwell , Charles Sullivan , Roland Got , Frank Tang
- Delmer Daves
- Academy Awards (1)
- Academy Awards , Best Original Story , 1943 , Steve Fisher
Rating: NR - Suitable for Children
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported