May 1, 1993
May 1, 1993
Fifteen stories evoke the character, atmosphere, and people of Dublin at the turn of the century.
Joyce's celebrated short-story sequence provides a vivid and disturbing picture of early 20th-century Dublin and its inhabitants, whom Joyce saw as trapped in a repressed and stultifying environment. The stories are divided into five types: childhood, adolescence, marriage, maturity, and various aspects of public life, including politics. They embody Joyce's belief in the value of what he called epiphanies--insights into life that can be compared to the religious concept of the Epiphany, and that Joyce believed art can provide via the transformation of mundane events. The last story, "The Dead"--the brilliant and moving dissection of a failed marriage--actually takes place on the Feast of the Epiphany.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
Sub-Genre: Peoples + Cultures, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, General, Classics, Love + Relationships + Sex, Types of Characters, Stages of Life
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Stages of Life, Types of Characters, Love + Relationships + Sex, Classics, General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Peoples + Cultures
- Language: English
- Author: James Joyce
- Online Item #: 11486959
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-05-0068
- ISBN: 9780140186475
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported