Writer/director Yasujiro Ozu combines two of his favorite themes--the culture clashes in modern Japan and the emergence of the independent Japanese woman--in Early Summer (Bakushu). Setsuko Hara plays a young woman of the post-war era who is promised in an arranged marriage. But too much has happened in the world and in the girl's own life to allow her to agree to this union without protest. The characters in Early Summer are neither remote historical personages nor distant foreigners. They are types as easily recognizable in Japan as in any country, and this commonality enhances the universal appeal of this austere film. Yasujiro Ozu collaborated on the script of Early Summer with Kogo Noda. Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Psychological Drama, Family Drama
- Wedding Bells, Arranged Marriages, Sibling Relationships
- 02 hr 05 min
- July 20, 2004
- Ichiro Sugai , Setsuko Hara , Chishu Ryu , Chikage Awashima , Kuniko Miyake
- Haruko Sugimura , Chieko Higashiyama , Shuji Sano , Zen Murase
- Yasujiro Ozu
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported