May 24, 2005
May 24, 2005
An advisor to King James I, Sir Robert Cecil relies on the practical advice of John Tradescant, a gardener, who becomes an eyewitness to the historical events that are shaping a turbulent England on the brink of civil war.
John Tradescant was a gardener to the rich (including Charles I) during the time of the English Civil War. Not content merely to toil in their flowerbeds, he accepts several commissions to travel to Russia, Holland, and especially the American colonies, returning from Virginia with rare plants (including magnolia, phlox, and asters) for the royal gardens. In EARTHLY JOYS, Tradescant--though he is married and has a young son--is also passionately in love with the Duke of Buckingham, whose allegiance is to King James. In this story of love, loyalty, and gardening, Philippa Gregory adds another novel to a collection based firmly in English history.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Politics, Types of Characters, General, Hobbies + Activities, Conflicts + Dualities
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Philippa Gregory
- Online Item #: 11338488
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-00-6419
- ISBN: 9780743272520
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported