October 18, 2011
October 18, 2011
The tale of the orphan, Pip, and his mysterious benefactor provides a grotesque but pointed comedy that explores the many levels of English society with insight and sympathy as well as a satiric eye. Considered by many to be Dickens's best novel, GREAT EXPECTATIONS is the story of a young man who rises out of a rough, deprived childhood to a life in which his expectations--or some of them--are fulfilled: he is a gentleman and a success, though he soon finds that happiness doesn't necessarily accompany money and position. The novel is full of fascinating scenes and characters, among them the coldhearted Estella, the vengeful and dotty Miss Havisham, Joe Gargery the noble blacksmith, the ever-lovable Herbert Pocket, and of course Magwitch, the grotesque and terrifying but ultimately benevolent convict, one of Dickens's most vital creations. As the compelling plot progresses, Pip's fortunes rise and fall, and he slowly gains in wisdom, learning to value what is important and to abandon most of his illusions. But the moral of the story is never heavy-handed or didactic, and in telling his tale, Dickens epitomizes all the best qualities for which he became famous: a comic vision, an inventive imagination, and a bountiful appreciation for the wonderful variety and boundless possibility inherent in the most ordinary humans.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
Sub-Genre: Human Qualities + Behavior, People + Places / Europe, Society + Social Issues, Work + the Workplace, Love + Relationships + Sex, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Boys + Men, Types of Characters, General, Money + Finance, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Stages of Life, Literary, Family / Orphans + Foster Homes, Settings, Classics, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: General, Literary, Types of Characters, Society + Social Issues, Family + Friendship, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Money + Finance, Love + Relationships + Sex, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Boys + Men, Family / Orphans + Foster Homes, Conflicts + Dualities, Stages of Life, Classics, Settings, Human Qualities + Behavior, People + Places / Europe, Work + the Workplace
- Language: English
- Author: Charles Dickens
- Online Item #: 13711453
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-72-9368
- ISBN: 9781849431224
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported