Mel Brooks produced, directed, wrote, and starred in this episodic comedy in the spirit of Monty Python and the 1957 studio travesty The Story of Mankind . The film is divided into five sequences that play like blue-toned Eddie Cantor vaudeville sketches -- "The Dawn of Man," "The Stone Age," The Spanish Inquisition," "The Bible," and "The Future." Also included is a Brooksian depiction of The Last Supper and a long-winded sequence about the French Revolution. The film starts with a 2001: A Space Odyssey parody, narrated by Orson Welles , in which a collection of ape-men learn to stand erect (in more ways than one). The Stone Age reveals the origins of both the first ****** sapien and homosexual marriages. Brooks then appears in an Old Testament sequence as Moses, descending from Mount Sinai with three heavy stone tablets bearing the 15 Commandments; after he drops one of these tablets, the laws of God become 10 Commandments. The Roman period picks up with Brooks as Comicus, attempting to get a gig as a "stand-up philosopher" at Caesar's Palace. The Spanish Inquisition is a musical production number with monks torturing Jews to lively Broadway musical strains. The final French revolution section is a broad parody of The Man in the Iron Mask story. The film closes with coming attractions of "History of the World, Part II" that features a rousing Star Wars parody (anticipating Space Balls ) called "Jews in Space" that includes a jaunty theme song. ~ Paul Brenner, Rovi
- Slapstick, Parody/Spoof, Absurd Comedy
- Religious Zealotry, Crowned Heads, Political Unrest, Class Differences
- 01 hr 32 min
- French , English , Portuguese , Spanish
- Mandarin Chinese , Portuguese , Cantonese Chinese , Spanish
- May 11, 2010
- Dom DeLuise , Madeline Kahn , Harvey Korman , Mel Brooks
- Zale Kessler , Mary-Margaret Humes , J.J. Barry , Heidi Sorenson , Geoffrey Larder , Eileen Saki , John Gavin , Andrew Sachs , Jonathan Cecil , Sidney Lassick , John Hillerman , Spike Milligan , Jan Murray , Jack Carter , Phil Leeds , Jackie Mason , John Hurt , Pat McCormick , Hugh Hefner , Fritz Feld , Henny Youngman , Diane Day , Art Metrano , Paul Mazursky , Charlie Callas , Orson Welles , Rudy de Luca , Howard Morris , Sid Caesar , Shecky Green , Gregory Hines , Ron Carey , Cloris Leachman , Bea Arthur , Howard Mann , Ronny Graham , Royce D. Applegate , Sandy Helberg , Sean Barry-Weske , Michael Champion , Johnny Silver , Jack Riley , Ira Miller , Jeana Tomasina , Anthony Messina , Lisa Welch , Henry Kaiser , Fiona Richmond , Earl Finn , Charles Thomas Murphy , Barry Levinson , Alan U. Schwartz , Suzanne Kent , Sid Gould , Sammy Shore , Pamela Stephenson , Hunter Von Leer , John Myhers , Lee Delano , Leigh French , Michael Miller , Mitchell Bock , Nigel Hawthorne , Ron Clark , Dena Dietrich , Jim Steck , Andréas Voutsinas
- Mel Brooks
Rating: R - Adult Language, Not For Children, Nudity
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported