May 10, 2005
May 10, 2005
Left on a beautiful but isolated island off the coast of California, a young Native American girl lives alone for eighteen years, learning to survive through her enormous courage and ingenuity, and finding a measure of satisfaction in her solitary life. A Newbery Medal Book. Read by Tantoo Cardinal. Book available.
A timeless classic based on a true story, this 1961 Newbery Medal-winner tells the story of a young Indian girl, Karana, as she struggles with the experience of living completely alone on a tiny island in the Pacific. Due to a series of misfortunes, when Karana's tribe leaves their beautiful island to escape marauding Russian fishermen, she stays behind, at the mercy of wild dogs and the elements. Karana must figure out how to care for herself, including making weapons--traditionally men's work. With only a dog and the surrounding wildlife for company, Karana spends 18 years relying on her strengths and finding contentedness on her quiet island.
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
Sub-Genre: Nature + the Natural World / General, People + Places / United States / Native American, General, Historical / General, Action + Adventure / General, Action + Adventure / Survival Stories
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Juvenile Fiction
- Subgenre: Action + Adventure / Survival Stories, Action + Adventure / General, Historical / General, General, People + Places / United States / Native American, Nature + the Natural World / General
- Age: Teen
- Publisher: Listening Library
- Edition: Unabridged
- Language: English
- Release Date: May 10, 2005
- Author: Scott O'Dell
- Narrator: Tantoo Cardinal
- Newbery Medal , Children's , 1961
- Online Item #: 11443880
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-4326
- ISBN: 9780307243164
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported