February 1, 2008
Probably the most prog of Kansas albums, this one spotlights long, orchestrated songs and unusual time signatures. There is an extended 98 instrumental break in the middle of the title track. "Lamplight Symphony" offers long, orchestrated passages. When the energy is there, it is intense energy, such as "Down the Road" and "The Devil Game." The longer songs unfortunately can lose a passive listener but, all in all, this is a good (if not adolescent) recording for a group in this genre. [The 2004 reissue has improved sound, new liner notes, and two bonus tracks: the single edit of "Song for America" and a live version of "Down the Road" taken from a 1975 show at ~the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland.] ~ Mark W.B. Allender, Rovi
Software Format: CD
Pop Sub-Genre: Art-Rock/Experimental, Hard Rock
Pop Musical Style: Arena Rock, Album Rock
Record label: SBME SPECIAL MKTS.
- Subgenre: Hard Rock, Art-Rock/Experimental
- Category Album Rock, Arena Rock
- Label: SBME SPECIAL MKTS.
- Release Date: February 1, 2008
- Artist: Kansas 
- Additional Artist: Steve Walsh (Vocals) , Robbie Steinhardt (Vocals)
- Online Item #: 11382925
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 244-01-8419
- Made in the USA or Imported