Actor Edward Norton debuts as a director with this comedy-drama about love, friendship, and faith. Priest Brian Finn (Norton) and rabbi Jacob Schram (Ben Stiller) have known each other since childhood. When Anna Reilly (Jenna Elfman), whom they both knew as children, returns to New York, both men find themselves infatuated with her, sparking both rivalry and personal dilemmas: Brian has taken a vow of celibacy, and Jacob is allowed to marry only within his faith. Award-winning director Milos Forman appears in the supporting cast, alongside Anne Bancroft, Ron Rifkin, and Eli Wallach; the screenplay marks the debut of writer Stuart Blumberg, whom Norton met when they were both undergraduates at Yale. Mark Deming, Rovi
An angel wonders if love can be Heaven on Earth in this family-themed romantic fantasy. Rev. Henry Biggs (Courtney B. Vance) is the pastor of a struggling Baptist church in a poor section of New York City. Biggs is devoted to serving his flock and his community, but things are not easy; membership is down, money is tight, the furnace is broken, and real estate mogul Joe Hamilton (Gregory Hines) wants to buy the property and put up condominiums. The strain is taking its toll on Biggs' marriage to his childhood sweetheart Julia (Whitney Houston), and in a moment of desperation, he prays to the Lord for help. The prayer is answered in the form of Dudley (Denzel Washington), an angel sent to earth to assist Biggs. The preacher doesn't believe that Dudley is a divine being, but he'll take any help he can get, while Julia, who thinks that Dudley is just another community volunteer, welcomes him into their home. However, Dudley is sidetracked in his earthly mission when he finds himself falling in love with Julia. Leading lady Whitney Houston takes the opportunity to sing several gospel numbers along the way. Mark Deming, Rovi
- Reunion Films, Heavenly Comedy, Musical Fantasy, Buddy Film, Romantic Fantasy, Romantic Comedy, Religious Comedy
- Inner City Blues, Members of the Clergy, Supernatural Romance, Love Triangles, Down on Their Luck
- 04 hr 13 min
- letterbox, widescreen
- September 11, 2007
- Ben Stiller , Whitney Houston , Denzel Washington , Edward Norton , Courtney B. Vance
- Eli Wallach , Gregory Hines , Jenna Elfman , Paul Bates , Loretta Devine , Darvel Davis Jr. , Lionel Richie , Jernard Burks , William James Stiggers Jr. , Justin Pierre Edmund , Ron Rifkin , Jenifer Lewis , Milos Forman , Holland Taylor , Lisa Edelstein , Rena Sofer , Ken Leung , Brian George , Anne Bancroft
- Edward Norton , Penny Marshall
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported