March 1, 1994
March 1, 1994
The reminiscences of a New York lawyer, Jim Burden, about his boyhood in Nebraska, particularly a young Bohemian girl named Antonia Shimerda, are set against the backdrop of the American assimilation of the immigrant
This novel about the friendship between two Nebraska children, Jim Burden and Antonia Shimerda, is considered Cather's masterpiece. The fortunes of two families are opposed: the Burdens thrive while the Shimerdas decline, a downfall that culminates in the suicide of Antonia's father, which forces the girl to work in the fields and then as a servant. Throughout all her trials, Antonia's strength, humor, and goodness sustain her and her family--and Jim, for whom she is a lifelong inspiration and mentor. Willa Cather called this novel "the best thing I've done."
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: General, Classics, Westerns, Literary, Love + Relationships + Sex, Peoples + Cultures, Stages of Life, Types of Characters, Settings, Society + Social Issues, Family + Friendship, Human Qualities + Behavior, Conflicts + Dualities, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Willa Cather
- Online Item #: 11400112
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-01-9728
- ISBN: 9780679741879
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported