October 1, 2009
October 1, 2009
Jane Austen's final novel, 'Persuasion', is the story of Anne Elliot, intelligent daughter of a spendthrift baronet, and her love for Frederick Wentworth. Persuaded to refuse his proposition of marriage, Anne spends seven years unhappy until he re-enters her life.
Jane Austen's last and most melancholy novel was published posthumously in 1818. In PERSUASION, Austen creates a strong, mature, and independent heroine, Anne Elliot. Having foolishly broken off an engagement eight years earlier to Frederick Wentworth, a penniless naval officer, Anne at the age of 27 has remained unmarried--and secretly devoted to Wentworth. Living with her vain, self-absorbed, and (of course) ridiculous father, Anne is sinking gently into a resigned spinsterhood when Wentworth, who has gained wealth and a name for himself, comes back into her life. Set in 1814 and 1815, PERSUASION was written in 1816, when Jane Austen was already ill; perhaps her decline left its mark on the novel. PERSUASION, however, while more serious in tone than Austen's other works--and, interestingly, more attuned to landscape and the beauties of nature--retains her gift for satire and her sometimes mordant wit.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Classics, War + Military, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Money + Finance, Types of Characters, Love + Relationships + Sex, Humorous Fiction, Family + Friendship, Human Qualities + Behavior, Romance
- Edition: New
- Language: English
- Author: Jane Austen
- Online Item #: 13179174
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-58-1439
- ISBN: 9781904633280
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported