June 19, 2006
June 19, 2006
Eight years ago, Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth fell head over heels in love. But Anne's family put a stop to their engagement, believing he wasn't good enough for her. Pretty Anne soon realises she's made a terrible mistake. Then Captain Wentworth walks back into her life again. Can he forgive her? This is a novel of love lost and regained.
Jane Austen's last and most melancholy novel was published posthumously in 1818. In PERSUASION, Austen creates a strong, mature, and independent heroine, Anne Elliot. Having foolishly broken off an engagement eight years earlier to Frederick Wentworth, a penniless naval officer, Anne at the age of 27 has remained unmarried--and secretly devoted to Wentworth. Living with her vain, self-absorbed, and (of course) ridiculous father, Anne is sinking gently into a resigned spinsterhood when Wentworth, who has gained wealth and a name for himself, comes back into her life. Set in 1814 and 1815, PERSUASION was written in 1816, when Jane Austen was already ill; perhaps her decline left its mark on the novel. PERSUASION, however, while more serious in tone than Austen's other works--and, interestingly, more attuned to landscape and the beauties of nature--retains her gift for satire and her sometimes mordant wit.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Romance, Love + Relationships + Sex, Money + Finance, Classics, Types of Characters, Human Qualities + Behavior, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Family + Friendship, War + Military, Humorous Fiction
- Edition: New
- Language: English
- Author: Jane Austen
- Online Item #: 13629959
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-70-4809
- ISBN: 9780755331499
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported