March 1, 2002
March 1, 2002
PAT CONROY has created a huge, brash thunderstorm of a novel, stinging with honesty and resounding with drama. Spanning forty years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and their struggle to triumph over the dark and tragic legacy of the extraordinary family into which they were born.
Filled with the vanishing beauty of the South Carolina low country as well as the dusty glitter of New York City, The Prince of Tides is PAT CONROY at his very best.
Tom Wingo, a middle-aged high school football coach and English teacher, is summoned from his home in Charleston, South Carolina to New York City to attend to his twin sister Savannah, who has remained comatose since attempting suicide. Savannah's psychiatrist, Susan Lowenstein, wants Tom to fill in many of the details in Savannah's upbringing. As Tom tells the Wingo story to Susan, he begins to uncover long-repressed memories, revealing some terrible family secrets. Gradually, the reasons why Savannah has tried to kill herself become evident.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Literary, Peoples + Cultures, Love + Relationships + Sex, Sports + Games, General, Human Qualities + Behavior, Family + Friendship, Settings, Conflicts + Dualities, Types of Characters
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Pat Conroy
- Online Item #: 11400854
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-04-2758
- ISBN: 9780553381542
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported