August 1, 1996
August 1, 1996
The new mistress of Manderley's Cornwall estate must constantly compete with the memory of Maxim de Winter's first wife, Rebecca
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." With these words, Daphne Du Maurier opens her gripping, psychologically complex tale, a modern Gothic that's one of the classic thrillers of the twentieth century. The young, nameless narrator meets the dashing Maxim de Winter at a resort in Monte Carlo, where she is serving as a companion to a boorish, middle-aged woman. De Winter, still suffering after losing his first wife, the enigmatic and sophisticated Rebecca, sweeps the narrator off her feet, marries her, and takes her back to Manderley. Once there, she realizes fully that she cannot live up to the stylish, commanding legacy of the first Mrs. de Winter, and she is reminded of her shortcomings and awkwardness daily by the sinister housekeeper Mrs. Danvers. But was Rebecca really as perfect as she seemed?
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Romance, Classics, Conflicts + Dualities, Disasters, Human Qualities + Behavior, Love + Relationships + Sex, Types of Characters, Settings, Legal + Courtroom + Crime
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Daphne Du Maurier
- Online Item #: 11830331
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-25-8317
- ISBN: 9780380778553
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported