August 1, 2010
August 1, 2010
When Ruth and her parents take a motor trip from Chicago to Alabama to visit her grandma, they rely on a pamphlet called "The Negro Motorist Green Book" to find places that will serve them. Includes facts about "The Green Book."
This moving picture book shares the story of an African American family's experience driving from Chicago to Alabama during the Jim Crow period. Ruth is thrilled to be going to visit Grandma with her family in their brand new 1952 Buick. But when the family finds many places won't serve them, Ruth's father is frustrated. Fortunately, at an Esso station, they get a copy of the Green Book, a guidebook to black-friendly businesses. Ruth loves the book and helps her family find all the good places, but best of all is finally arriving at her grandma's. With vibrant illustrations and a historical bent that will enlighten and educate.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Juvenile Fiction
Sub-Genre: People + Places / United States / African-American, Historical / United States / 20th Century, General
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: General, Historical / United States / 20th Century, People + Places / United States / African-American
- Age: 4-8 years
- Language: English
- Release Date: August 1, 2010
- Author: Calvin Alexander Ramsey
- Illustrator: Floyd Cooper
- Online Item #: 12361794
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-45-1084
- ISBN: 9780761352556
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported