May 1, 2004
May 1, 2004
After Sadika arranged marriage to her first cousin in America falls through, which ruins her reputation and her hopes on finding a suitable match, she decides to go to the United States on her own.
Sadika has been betrothed for years to her cousin Haroon, who has left Pakistan for America, but when he returns home for a visit, he rejects her for her younger sister. Sadika is dominated by her mother, who forces her to quit school. Then, when her sister becomes pregnant in America, Sadika is forced to travel there to help out--but with the promise that, at least, she can go to college there. When she does so, and not only excels but comes home with a blond American boyfriend, her family goes crazy. But Sadika has learned to go her own way, at last, and finds the courage to oppose her stifling family.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Human Qualities + Behavior, Conflicts + Dualities, Family + Friendship, Love + Relationships + Sex, Humorous Fiction, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Literary, Types of Characters
- Language: English
- Author: Hina Haq
- Online Item #: 12166352
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-39-7545
- ISBN: 9780897335188
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported