October 13, 2004
October 13, 2004
Having escaped an Australian maximum security prison, a disillusioned man loses himself in the slums of Bombay, where he works for a drug kingpin, smuggles arms for a crime lord, and forges bonds with fellow exiles.
Gregory David Roberts leaned heavily on his own life to tell the story of a most unusual man who was, for 10 years, one of Australia's Most Wanted. A ****** addict in prison for armed robbery, the man known as Lindsay (Lin) escapes and lands in Bombay in the 1980s, where his name becomes Shantaram. There he hides out from the law, learns the local language, opens a medical clinic for the poor, and falls in love with a woman named Karla, eventually fighting as a guerrilla in Afghanistan against the Russians. A bestseller in Australia, SHANTARAM is a story of revolution and activism, addiction and redemption, adventure and romance. In addition to an addict, a prisoner, and a soldier, the author has been an actor, a singer in a rock band, a counterfeiter, and a gun runner, and has written the libretto for an opera. He wrote SHANTARAM in prison, over the course of many years--a manuscript, as he describes it in an afterword to the novel, "written in blood and tears and exultation..., stained and streaked with my blood."
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Peoples + Cultures, Action + Thrillers, Settings, Society + Social Issues, Types of Characters, Literary, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Language: English
- Author: Gregory David Roberts
- Online Item #: 12003130
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 247-03-3980
- ISBN: 9780312330521
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported