February 5, 2013
February 5, 2013
An eco-thriller takes readers to such far-flung locales as Paris, Iceland, Antarctica, and the Solomon Islands.
Blockbuster writer Michael Crichton's eco-thriller is a dizzying, adventure-packed novel, embedded with a controversial message. A highly organized group of environmental extremists are linked to the bizarre deaths of a graduate student in wave mechanics and a man who leases submarines, as well as the mysterious disappearance of a wealthy donor to environmental causes. Their plan is to raise awareness of global warming by artificially precipitating natural disasters that will reap a high cost in human lives. Crichton uses his fiction to address some very real concerns of his, citing actual scientific research to contend that global warming is probably a nonexistent threat, and that no one is doing anything effective to determine and solve genuine environmental problems. He further suggests that most environmentalists ignore or twist the research of scientists whose evidence contradicts their agenda, that the people running environmental groups are motivated by greed, and that the activists supporting the groups are motivated by ignorance. Some may dismiss the novel as a right-wing polemic; others may find it a chillingly possible vision of things to come.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction
- Subgenre: Mystery + Crime, Society + Social Issues, Disasters, Action + Thrillers, Types of Characters, Work + the Workplace, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Science + Technology, General
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Michael Crichton
- Online Item #: 14426966
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-82-0747
- ISBN: 9780062227218
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported