June 2, 2009
June 2, 2009
The history of polygamy in the Mormon Church intertwines the story of Ann Eliza Young, the nineteenth wife of Brigham Young, and a modern mystery in which a polygamous man has been found murdered and one of his wives is accused of the crime.
Author David Ebershoff mixes fact with fiction in this intelligent thriller centered around the Mormon church, and the origins of polygamy. Ebershoff weaves together two narratives, one set in 1875, and featuring the former wife of Mormon prophet Brigham Young, and another set in present day Utah, focusing on a man who was cast out from a polygamist family. Ebershoff seamlessly moves back and forth between the two tales, each story providing an educational and engaging account of Mormonism and the history of polygamy. Ebershoff is best known for his bestselling and controversial book, UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN, in which he detailed Mormonism's violent beginnings.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: General, Literary, Mystery + Crime, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Love + Relationships + Sex, Legal + Courtroom + Crime
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: David Ebershoff
- Online Item #: 11321533
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-04-2652
- ISBN: 9780812974157
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported