January 1, 2010
January 1, 2010
A series of illustrated adaptations of classic novels featuring delightful artwork, large type and leveled language that render them accessible and enjoyable to young readers.
Twain spent seven years writing HUCKLEBERRY FINN--the book Hemingway claimed is the basis for all American fiction. The story of Huck's and Jim's quest for freedom on a raft on the Mississippi provides a panoramic view of Southern society, which Twain saw as beset by greed, violence, and coldhearted brutality in the guise of virtue. At the end of the book, Huck definitively abandons the hypocrisy and cant on which he has been raised when he makes the shocking decision to go to hell rather than betray his friend Jim and send him back to slavery. The book has been banned from time to time, beginning with its publication in 1885, when it was deemed too subversive for children, until the late 20th century when, despite its compassionate attitude toward blacks and is violent denunciation of slavery, it has been branded racist because of Twain's use of dialect and "offensive" language. In addition to its message of tolerance and understanding, HUCKLEBERRY FINN continues to be read, talked about, and loved by readers of all ages because it's a cracking good coming-of-age story full of vivid characters and hilarious events --and because Twain's relentlessly clear-eyed angle of vision sees beneath the foibles and absurdities of humanity to the common ground that we all share.
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
Sub-Genre: Peoples + Cultures, Human Qualities + Behavior, General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Humorous Fiction, Stages of Life, Classics, Settings, Types of Characters, Travel + Voyages, Action + Adventure / General, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities, Society + Social Issues, Politics, Literary
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction
- Subgenre: Settings, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Types of Characters, Travel + Voyages, Stages of Life, Society + Social Issues, Politics, Peoples + Cultures, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Literary, Humorous Fiction, Human Qualities + Behavior, Family + Friendship, Classics, Conflicts + Dualities, General, Action + Adventure / General
- Age: 9-12 years
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Mark Twain
- Illustrator: Howard Mcwilliam
- Online Item #: 11834924
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-26-1052
- ISBN: 9781602707023
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported