October 4, 2011
October 4, 2011
Follows a fourteen-year-old American girl whose life unexpectedly transforms when she moves to London in 1952 and gets swept up in a race to save the world from nuclear war.
Magic, science, and the Cold War combine in this enjoyable young adult novel. It's 1952, and in order to escaping McCarthyism, 14-year-old Janie's screenwriter parents have relocated the family from beautiful, prosperous Los Angeles to a dour London still suffering from the affects of World War II. The shift is difficult for Janie, but she soon meets Benjamin, a brilliant apothecary's son who also happens to be cute. When Russian spies take Benjamin's father, the two join forces to keep the Pharmacopoeia--the apothecary's book of recipes--secret from the enemy. They also use the book to locate him, but the preparations include some decidedly magical things, like truth-telling tea and a bath for invisibility. Will they be able to stop the worst from happening?
Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Juvenile Fiction
Sub-Genre: Action + Adventure / General, Science Fiction + Fantasy + Magic, Historical / Europe
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Historical / Europe, Science Fiction + Fantasy + Magic, Action + Adventure / General
- Age: Teen
- Publisher: Putnam Pub. Group
- Pages: 353
- Language: English
- Release Date: October 4, 2011
- Author: Maile Meloy
- Illustrator: Ian Schoenherr
- Online Item #: 13734235
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 247-06-6687
- ISBN: 9780399256271
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported