May 1, 1995
May 1, 1995
A painter of the birds of his remote village on the coast of Newfoundland, the narrator of this novel--a finalist for the 1994 National Book Award--recounts the passion and betrayal that led him to murder a lighthouse keeper. Reprint. Tour.
Fabian Vas has always lived in Witless Bay, Newfoundland. He draws birds, and he has killed the local lighthouse keeper, a man named Botho August. There are a number of reasons for the murder: Fabian's love for the alcoholic Margaret, which his parents are trying to stop by forcing Fabian into marriage with a cousin; and Fabian's mother's adulterous affair with Botho August while his father was away.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction
- Subgenre: Medicine + Health, Settings, Family + Friendship, Art + Architecture, Conflicts + Dualities, Love + Relationships + Sex, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Human Qualities + Behavior, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Business + Careers + Occupations, Types of Characters
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Howard Norman
- Online Item #: 11452678
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-6666
- ISBN: 9780312130275
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported