April 1, 1999
April 1, 1999
Rich in its stories, characters, and imaginative range, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting is the novel that brought Milan Kundera his first big international success in the late 1970s. Like all his work, it is valuable for far more than its historical implications. In seven wonderfully integrated parts, different aspects of human existence are magnified and reduced, reordered and emphasized, newly examined, analyzed, and experienced.
Tamina and her husband flee Czechoslovakia when the communists take power--and then he dies. Exiled in Switzerland, Tamina directs all her efforts toward recovering her dead husband's love letters, to keep her company in a strange land. Kundera uses this novel as a vehicle for his own thoughts on exile, totalitarianism, and politics, but also ******, music, art, and literature.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Literary, Conflicts + Dualities, Society + Social Issues, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Peoples + Cultures, Humorous Fiction, Love + Relationships + Sex, Politics, Types of Characters, Human Qualities + Behavior, Philosophy
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Milan Kundera , Aaron Asher
- Online Item #: 11404258
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-2373
- ISBN: 9780060932145
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported