September 27, 2011
September 27, 2011
The biggest edition yet – expanded and updated with 35,000 words of new material
Critically acclaimed in its previous editions, The Complete David Bowie is widely recognized as the foremost source of analysis and information on every facet of Bowie’s career. The A-Z of songs and the day-by-day dateline are the most complete ever published. From the 11-year-old’s skiffle performance at the 18th Bromley Scouts’ Summer Camp in 1958, to the emergence of the legendary lost album Toy in 2011, The Complete David Bowie discusses and dissects every last development in rock’s most fascinating career.
* The Albums – detailed production history and analysis of every album from 1967 to the present day.
* The Songs – hundreds of individual entries reveal the facts and anecdotes behind not just the famous recordings, but also the most obscure of unreleased rarities – from ‘Absolute Beginners’ to ‘Ziggy Stardust’, from ‘Abdulmajid’ to ‘Zion’.
* The Tours – set-lists and histories of every live show.
* The Actor – a complete guide to Bowie’s career on stage and screen.
* Plus – the videos, the BBC radio sessions, the paintings, the Internet and much more.
All you could ever want to know about David Bowie and then some, Nicholas Pegg's THE COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE alphabetically lists all the artist's songs from the merely unfamiliar ("Abdulmajid") to the totally obscure ("Zion," anyone?), as well as itemizing all the releases on which they appear: these are then neatly catalogued in their turn. In addition, bootleg recordings, live performances from the late 1960s to 2002, television and radio appearances, TV shows, film and theatre appearances, and more are featured in a cornucopia of information. Pegg's often incisive comments are an added bonus in a substantial 600-page volume that functions both as invaluable reference work and oblique biography, and which practically redefines the meaning of comprehensive. Pegg's extensive album annotations often digress to such fascinating subjects as who provided the inspiration for Bowie's Ziggy Stardust character (UK-born minor rock star Vince Taylor), and the recording of the revolutionary-sounding LOW album. Arguably the definitive research work on David Bowie's career, THE COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE is an indispensable aid to understanding the oeuvre of one of the late 20th century's most creative and intriguing artists.
- Genre: Biography + Autobiography
- Subgenre: Composers + Musicians
- Edition: New
- Language: English
- Author: Nicholas Pegg
- Online Item #: 13610500
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-69-8974
- ISBN: 9780857682901
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported