June 22, 2010
June 22, 2010
In 1766, a ship docks at Bristol, England, disgorging a crate with two young elephants in poor health, but alive. A wealthy sugar merchant purchases them for his country estate and turns their care over to a young stable boy, Tom Page. It takes time for Tom and the two elephants to understand each other, but to the surprise of everyone on the estate, a remarkable bond is formed, and changes the lives of all who meet them.
Christopher Nicholson's debut novel captures the remarkable friendship between a man and an elephant during the 18th century. In 1766, a stable boy named Tom is given the (literally) large responsibility of caring for a pair of elephants on an English estate. Spending all his time with the elephants, Tom soon develops such a rapport with the creatures that he can carry on full conversations with them and train them without violence. The male elephant is eventually sold, leaving Tom alone with Jenny, the female, and he chooses to abandon his human companions and stay with her when she is shipped to a new owner. Tom and Jenny endure much hardship, as their living conditions get gradually worse, but their shared memory of their unique bond transcends the physical elements of their existence.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Historical Fiction, Nature + Animals, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Animals / Elephants, General, Human Qualities + Behavior
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Christopher Nicholson
- Online Item #: 12273558
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-04-2182
- ISBN: 9780061651618
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported