July 6, 2010
July 6, 2010
The story of Ignacia Vigil Romero, a full Jacarilla Apache, and the two boys, Mister and Tomás, she raised to adulthood unfolds in a barrio of Taos, New Mexico--a mixed community of Native Americans, Hispanics, and whites. Now deceased, Ignacia, a curandera--a medicine woman, though some say a witch--begins this tale of star-crossed lovers.
Mister and Tomás, best friends until their late teens, both fall for Rocky, a gringa of some mystery, a girl Tomás takes for himself. But in a moment of despair, a pledge between the young men leads to murder. When Ignacia falls silent, police reports, witness statements, and caseworker interviews draw an electrifying portrait of a troubled community and of the vulnerable players in this mounting tragedy. Set in a terrain that becomes a character in its own right, The Ghost of Milagro Creek brilliantly illuminates this hidden corner of American society.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Literary, Love + Relationships + Sex, Types of Characters, Religion + Beliefs, Peoples + Cultures, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities
- Publisher: Algonquin Books
- Pages: 267
- Language: English
- Author: Melanie Sumner
- Online Item #: 12340956
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-44-6512
- ISBN: 9781565129177
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported