December 1, 1995
December 1, 1995
a 1 New York Times bestseller.
A classic american crime novel.
An offer you can't refuse...
Since its first publication in 1969, Mario Puzo's epic The Godfather has earned a permanent place in the American psyche and culture. In this story of family, loyalty, and the men who rule the American underworld, Puzo introduced a cast of singularly crafted characters, and offered an unforgettable look into the world of organized crime no writer has been able to duplicate since.
In 1969, THE GODFATHER began the American public's fascination with the Mafia. This Italian-American epic, featuring patriarch Don Vito Corleone, explores the brutal, lavish lifestyles of New York City's mob bosses: the struggles for power, the respect for family, love, and loyalty, and the consequences of life built around murder, corruption, and revenge. While its heady mixture of ******, violence, and "family" values assured it a place atop the bestseller lists, it achieved longevity through its treatment of mobsters as something more than abstract monsters--as complex characters with hopes, dreams, and fears, but who also just happen to be ruthless killers. It inspired countless homages, tributes, knock-offs, and imitations across all forms of popular media. Television shows like THE SOPRANOS and movies like GOODFELLAS would never have been conceived without it. THE GODFATHER was made into a hugely successful, Oscar-winning film in 1972.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Society + Social Issues, Settings, Stages of Life, Peoples + Cultures, Mystery + Crime, Human Qualities + Behavior, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities, Love + Relationships + Sex, Politics, Legal + Courtroom + Crime
- Language: English
- Author: Mario Puzo
- Online Item #: 11825401
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-25-5290
- ISBN: 9780451167712
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported