March 1, 2002
March 1, 2002
An inside fictional portrait journeys inside the world of the Cosa Nostra and its operations to chronicle the lives and fortunes of Mafia leader Vito Corleone, his family, and his underworld domain. Reissue.
In 1969, THE GODFATHER began the American public's fascination with the Mafia. This Italian-American epic, featuring patriarch Don Vito Corleone, explores the brutal, lavish lifestyles of New York City's mob bosses: the struggles for power, the respect for family, love, and loyalty, and the consequences of life built around murder, corruption, and revenge. While its heady mixture of ******, violence, and "family" values assured it a place atop the bestseller lists, it achieved longevity through its treatment of mobsters as something more than abstract monsters--as complex characters with hopes, dreams, and fears, but who also just happen to be ruthless killers. It inspired countless homages, tributes, knock-offs, and imitations across all forms of popular media. Television shows like THE SOPRANOS and movies like GOODFELLAS would never have been conceived without it. THE GODFATHER was made into a hugely successful, Oscar-winning film in 1972.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Conflicts + Dualities, Family + Friendship, Human Qualities + Behavior, Mystery + Crime, Peoples + Cultures, Politics, Society + Social Issues, Settings, Stages of Life, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Love + Relationships + Sex
- Edition: Reissue
- Language: English
- Author: Mario Puzo
- Online Item #: 11403441
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-1212
- ISBN: 9780451205766
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported