June 28, 2011
June 28, 2011
Limited and persecuted by racial divides in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi, three women, including an African-American maid, her sassy and chronically unemployed friend, and a recently graduated white woman, team up for a clandestine project.
At the outset of the civil rights movement in Jackson, Mississippi, three unique women unite to share the stories of dozens of the city's black servants, who have been kept voiceless for too long. Skeeter is fresh home from college, with big dreams of becoming a journalist, though her mother just wants her to find a husband. Aibileen, a black maid, is the heart and soul of her household, now working on raising her seventeenth white child. Her best friend Minnie, is the best cook in the city, but can not find a job because of her tendency to speak the cold truth. Together, these three unforgettable ladies launch a crusade to collect the stories of the town's silent servants, and try to tear down the unspoken racial barriers that traverse the homes and hearts of everyone in Jackson.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Society + Social Issues, General, Family + Friendship, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Edition: Media Tie In, Reissue
- Language: English
- Author: Kathryn Stockett
- Online Item #: 13514823
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 059-04-3730
- ISBN: 9780425245132
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported