October 1, 2002
October 1, 2002
Set in medieval Paris, Victor Hugo's powerful historical romance The Hunchback of Notre-Dame has resonated with succeeding generations ever since its publication in 1837. It tells the story of the beautiful gypsy Esmeralda, condemned as a witch by the tormented archdeacon Claude Frollo, who lusts after her. Quasimodo, the deformed bell ringer of Notre-Dame Cathedral, having fallen in love with the kindhearted Esmeralda, tries to save her by hiding her in the cathedral's tower. When a crowd of Parisian peasants, misunderstanding Quasimodo's motives, attacks the church in an attempt to liberate her, the story ends in tragedy.
Victor Hugo's romance is set in the middle ages, largely in the cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris, where Quasimodo is the hunchbacked bellringer. Quasimodo silently loves a gypsy dancer named Esmeralda. She is accused of witchcraft and seeks refuge in the cathedral, where Quasimodo cares for her. But when she is executed in spite of his efforts, he throws her persecutor, the evil archdeacon Frollo, from the top of the cathedral.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
Sub-Genre: Types of Characters, Settings, Medicine + Health, Classics, Westerns, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Human Qualities + Behavior, Society + Social Issues, Love + Relationships + Sex, Conflicts + Dualities
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Classics, Medicine + Health, Settings, Types of Characters, Westerns, Society + Social Issues, Conflicts + Dualities, Love + Relationships + Sex, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Human Qualities + Behavior
- Language: English
- Author: Victor Hugo , Catherine Liu
- Online Item #: 11527003
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-07-2723
- ISBN: 9780679642572
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported