October 9, 2007
October 9, 2007
In Jennifer Egan’s highly acclaimed first novel, set in 1978, the political drama and familial tensions of the 1960s form a backdrop for the world of Phoebe O’Connor, age eighteen. Phoebe is obsessed with the memory and death of her sister Faith, a beautiful idealistic hippie who died in Italy in 1970. In order to find out the truth about Faith’s life and death, Phoebe retraces her steps from San Francisco across Europe, a quest which yields both complex and disturbing revelations about family, love, and Faith’s lost generation. This spellbinding novel introduced Egan’s remarkable ability to tie suspense with deeply insightful characters and the nuances of emotion.
In this debut novel, recent graduate Phoebe O'Connor searches for remnants of the time she missed in Haight-Ashbury during the 1960s and comes up short. Perpetually haunted by the mysterious death (possibly a suicide) of her sister Faith in 1970, she spontaneously decides to retrace her sister's journey in Europe. Her departure is spurred on by the recent discovery of her widowed mother's relationship with her boss.
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Literary Genres + Types of Novels, General, Psychology, Social Issues / Death + Dying, Types of Characters, Family + Friendship, People + Places / General
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Jennifer Egan
- Online Item #: 11443525
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-3985
- ISBN: 9780307387523
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported