May 9, 2013
May 9, 2013
What?s the point in solving murders if we?re all going to die soon, anyway?Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There?s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job ? but not Hank Palace. He?s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week ? except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares. What?s the point in solving murders if we?re all going to die soon, anyway?The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace?s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we?re confronted by hard questions way beyond ?whodunit.? What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
Sub-Genre: Society + Social Issues, General, Work + the Workplace, Psychology, Mystery + Crime, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Social Issues / Suicide
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Science Fiction + Fantasy, Mystery + Crime, General, Social Issues / Suicide, Work + the Workplace, Society + Social Issues, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Psychology
- Edition: Unabridged
- Language: English
- Author: Ben H. Winters
- Narrator: Peter Berkrot (Narrator)
- Online Item #: 14611917
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-82-9704
- ISBN: 9781469226248
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported