October 24, 2006
October 24, 2006
From aperitif to digestif, approach every meal with savvy and grace.
We've all experienced Fancy-Pants Restaurant Jitters at some point - the fear that you will unknowingly commit some fine-dining crime, whether it's using the wrong fork, picking an amateur wine, mispronouncing foie gras, or gasping when your fish entrée arrives with its head still attached. Relax. The Mere Mortal's Guide to Fine Dining is the ultimate antidote to restaurant anxiety.
Where does your napkin go when you leave the table? Should you sniff the wine cork? And why, pray tell, are there so many forks? This comprehensive and accessible primer answers these and dozens of other questions and offers the basics on every aspect of fine dining, including:
* How to navigate a place setting
* Speaking menu-ese and the language of fine food
* A refresher on polite and polished table manners
* 911 for wine novices
* A carnivore's guide to beef, pork, lamb, and veal
* What local, sustainable, and organic really mean
* Japanese dining dos and don'ts
* Who's who on a restaurant's staff
* How to be a regular-or get the perks like one
* Top restaurants across the country
* What the food snobs know (and you should, too)
* And much more...
With a little help, any Mere Mortal can order wine with confidence, get great, attitude-free service, decipher menus, and finally, truly, savor any dining experience.
A helpful and humorous guidebook for those longing to be savvy in a restaurant setting, from ordering wine to proper cheese course choices to knowing cuts of meat.
Genre: Social Science, Reference, Cooking + Food + Wine
Sub-Genre: General, Etiquette, Popular Culture, Courses + Dishes / General
- Genre: Cooking + Food + Wine, Social Science, Reference
- Subgenre: Popular Culture, Courses + Dishes / General, Etiquette, General
- Language: English
- Author: Colleen Rush
- Online Item #: 11815234
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-24-7096
- ISBN: 9780767922036
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported