July 1, 2008
July 1, 2008
Oscar Wilde's classic work is about a man who sells his soul for eternal youth: only his portrait ages, while he remains forever handsome and young. Wilde's allegory, first published in 1890, provides an interesting take on the Faust myth and also a probing examination of human values. Wilde himself described it as the story of "an idea that is old in the history of literature, but to which I have given new form." He was shocked and angered by the response to it by the English press, which considered the novel decadent, corrupting, and--worst of all--French-influenced.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
Sub-Genre: Conflicts + Dualities, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, General, Psychology, Human Qualities + Behavior, Religion + Beliefs, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Mystery + Crime, Classics
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Mystery + Crime, General, Psychology, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Classics, Conflicts + Dualities, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Human Qualities + Behavior, Religion + Beliefs
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Oscar Wilde
- Online Item #: 13237382
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-59-6219
- ISBN: 9780099511144
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported