Covering some 15 years, The Right Stuff recounts the formation of America's space program, concentrating on the original Mercury astronauts. Scott Glenn plays Alan Shepard , the first American in space; Fred Ward is Gus Grissom , the benighted astronaut for whom nothing works out as planned; and Ed Harris is John Glenn , the straight-arrow "boy scout" of the bunch who was the first American to orbit the earth. The remaining four Mercury boys are Deke Slayton ( Scott Paulin ), Scott Carpenter ( Charles Frank ), Wally Schirra ( Lance Henriksen ) and Gordon Cooper ( Dennis Quaid ). Wolfe 's original book related in straightforward fashion the dangers and frustrations facing the astronauts (including Glenn 's oft-repeated complaint that it's hard to be confident when you know that the missile you're sitting on has been built by the lowest bidder), the various personal crises involving their families ( Glenn 's wife Annie, a stutterer, dreads being interviewed on television, while Grissom 's wife Betty, angered that her husband is not regarded as a hero because his mission was a failure, bitterly declares "I want my parade!"), and the schism between the squeaky-clean public image of the Mercury pilots and their sometimes raunchy earthbound shenanigans. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Space Travel, Underdogs, Military Life
- 03 hr 13 min
- Spanish , French , English
- French , Spanish , English
- November 5, 2013
- Sam Shepard , Scott Glenn , Ed Harris , Dennis Quaid , Fred Ward
- John X. Heart , James Brady , William Hall , John Dehner , Levon Helm , Mary Apick , Michael Pritchard , Robert Beer , William Russ , O-Lan Jones , Bob Elross , Gen. Chuck Yeager , David Gulpilil , Ed Corbett , Ed Holmes , Edward Anhalt , Eric Sevareid , Kaaren Lee , Katherine Conklin , Maureen Coyne , Richard Duppell , Tom Dahlgren , Barbara Hershey , Kim Stanley , Veronica Cartwright , Pamela Reed , Scott Paulin , Charles Frank , Lance Henriksen , Donald Moffat , Mary Jo Deschanel , Scott Wilson , Kathy Baker , Mickey Crocker , Susan Kase , Mittie Smith , Royal Dano , David Clennon , Jim Haynie , Harry Shearer , Jeff Goldblum , Scott Beach , Jane Dornacker , Anthony Munoz , John Ryan , Darryl Henriques
- Philip Kaufman
Rating: pg - Questionable for Children, Profanity, Adult Situations
special offers and deals.
free standard shipping with $50 purchase, offer details.
- Made in the USA or Imported