May 30, 2006
May 30, 2006
The artist and poet David Jones (1895-1974) considered The Rime of the Ancient Mariner to be 'one of the great achievements of English poetry, and not only great but unique'. In 1929 Jones made ten copper engravings for a limited edition of Coleridge's poem.
This new edition (the first in an accessible and affordable format) is prefaced by David Jones's Introduction. Also included is an Afterword by Thomas Dilworth, with twenty-eight illustrations, discussing the biographical context of the engravings, interpreting them, and illuminating an aspect of the form of the poem which may have influenced the engravings.
Genre: Pets, Nature, Transportation, Art, Poetry
Sub-Genre: Techniques / Painting, Individual Artist, English + Irish + Scottish + Welsh, Ships + Shipbuilding / General, Animals, General
- Genre: Poetry, Art, Pets, Nature, Transportation
- Subgenre: General, English + Irish + Scottish + Welsh, Individual Artist, Ships + Shipbuilding / General, Techniques / Painting, Animals
- Language: English
- Author: Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- Illustrator: David Jones
- Online Item #: 14125845
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-80-5286
- ISBN: 9781904634140
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported