September 26, 2006
September 26, 2006
In a novel set in an indefinite, futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, a father and his young son make their way through the ruins of a devastated American landscape, struggling to survive and preserve the last remnants of their own humanity.
Cormac McCarthy's bleak vision of the American landscape has always had a cataclysmic undertone, so it comes as no surprise that THE ROAD is actually set in a post-apocalyptic world of ash and bitter cold where cannibalistic marauders roam the countryside. In this dire place, a man and his son travel towards the sea armed only with a revolver and two bullets. Amid this desolation, a tin of canned pears is thing of wonder, and a broken wheel on their shopping cart can mean the difference between life and death. Their love for each other is fierce, but the son fears that his father has, in his desperation, become as savage and brutal as the world around him. Cormac McCarthy writes with a searing white heat, his images and language strike deep in the reader, and his vision of humanity is inexorable and haunting.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
Sub-Genre: Philosophy, Action + Thrillers, Science Fiction + Fantasy, Human Qualities + Behavior, Types of Characters, Society + Social Issues, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Literary, Conflicts + Dualities, Settings, Family + Friendship, General
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Human Qualities + Behavior, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Literary, Philosophy, Settings, Types of Characters, Society + Social Issues, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities, Action + Thrillers, General, Science Fiction + Fantasy
- Language: English
- Author: Cormac McCarthy
- Online Item #: 12089234
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 247-03-7169
- ISBN: 9780307265432
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported