September 1, 2004
September 1, 2004
Presents a collection of seven graphic stories that feature the character known as "The Sandman" who rules over humans as they sleep.
Based on a rich tapestry of myths both real and invented, the 75-issue SANDMAN comic book series is a modern classic. Its wide appeal made Neil Gaiman famous, increased the female audience for comic books, and inspired greater respect for the medium as a whole. This graphic novel collects issues #1-#8 of SANDMAN, reproducing the first major story arc in its entirety. In 1916, a powerful and wealthy English magician seeks to capture the personification of Death, believing that if he does so, neither he nor anyone else will have to die again. However, his spell ensnares Death's younger brother instead--Dream, who rules over all our dreams and nightmares. While Dream remains imprisoned for over 70 years, his absence is keenly felt, causing some people to remain forever asleep, others eternally awake, and some to be trapped between the two states. When he finally escapes, he must regain his tools of office, stolen during his captivity, a quest that takes him to London, to Hell, and then to the very depths of madness. It's an incredible but fairly disturbing journey, and neither the text nor the full-color art pulls any punches.
Genre: Comics + Graphic Novels, Fiction + Literature Themes
Sub-Genre: Graphic Novels / Fantasy
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Comics + Graphic Novels
- Subgenre: Graphic Novels / Fantasy
- Publisher: Vertigo
- Pages: 160
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Release Date: September 1, 2004
- Author: Todd Klein , Neil Gaiman
- Illustrator: Bill Sienkiewicz , Milo Manara , Miguelanxo Prado , P. Craig Russell , Barron Storey , Frank Quitely , Glenn Fabry
- Online Item #: 11952433
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-28-6722
- ISBN: 9781401201135
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported